If you plan to hire graduate students and need guidance on the best way to do it, we have resources to help you through the process.
The Graduate Division oversees graduate student hiring policies, as well as associated appointment documents. For more information, contact the Graduate Division.
The programs are designed to help students complete their degree requirements.
The Graduate Division oversees graduate student hiring policies, as well as associated appointment documents.
There are three classifications, identified by the student’s job responsibilities.
- Graduate Research Assistant: A student participating directly in research or research-support activities under faculty supervision.
- Graduate Teaching Assistant: A student acting as an instructor under faculty supervision. The student might or might not be the instructor of record.
- Graduate Professional Assistant: A student participating in a non-teaching/non-research position performing work in which they gain experience related to their academic program and that is significantly connected to their fields of study and career preparation.
Graduate Lecturers are students who are the instructor of record for a credit-bearing course for no more than 3 courses or 10 credit hours per semester. Faculty supervision is required.
- Graduate Student Hiring Rules & Procedures
- Health Insurance for Graduate Students
- In-state Eligibility for Doctoral and MFA Students
- Supplemental Support for Recipients of Qualifying Awards
- GTA, GRA, or GPA Appointment Offer Letter
- Quarter-time GRA Appointment Offer Letter for Recipients of Qualifying Awards
- Graduate Lecturer Appointment Offer Letter
- Stipend Top Off Addendum
- Title IX, Notice of Nondiscrimination on the Basis of Sex and Gender
- Centrally Allocated Fellowship Offer Template
- Work Authorization Form (to be used when students request to work more than 20 hours per week)
- Transcript Release for Employment Purposes Form (to be included with GTA Instructor of Record Appointment Letters and Graduate Lecturer Appointment Letters)
- Graduate Professional Assistant Position Description Form
- Graduate Funding Definitions
- Spring '24 Graduate Assistant Compensation Rates and Appointment Dates (November 13, 2023)